If you are worried you or someone you love are in immediate danger, please contact 999.
Feeling suicidal is when someone thinks their life or something in their life is so bad, that they just don’t see a way out and believe their option is to end their own lives (kill themselves).
Feeling suicidal can happen for a number of reasons. It could be because of bullying or abuse, or they might not even know how they started. However, if you are feeling this way, you are not alone. Our free, confidential chatbot can help and put in touch with someone who can help.
If you feel suicidal, you should talk to someone about it. This could be a teacher, a parent, a friend, your teacher, a sibling, a family member, or an adult you trust.
Worried about a friend or someone else?
Feeling suicidal can effect anyone. Some people may want to end their lives because:
- they think it’ll stop the pain
- they think it’ll take the negative feeling away
- they think it will give them control
- they think it’ll tell other people what they’re feeling
Somebody who is suicidal might:
- be feeling depressed or withdrawn (they might stop wanting to see their friends or do things they would normally like doing)
- start doing dangerous things like taking drugs and alcohol
- give away things they own
- stop taking care of themselves, don’t care about themselves, don’t wash or care about their appearance
Somebody who is feeling suicidal might say things like:
- ”it’ll be over soon”
- ”I’m better off dead”
- ”I don’t want to be here anymore”
- ”I won’t be missed”
If they do or say any of these things, you should encourage them to reach out for help. They may not like it, but it is what’s best for them.
Remember, it’s not your responsibility to stop your friend from hurting themselves. If you find helping your friend difficult or upsetting, you can talk to our chatbot for support too. We are here to help, however you need.
Have you lost someone to suicide?
If you lose someone to suicide, it will be very sad and upsetting. You may feel confused or angry, some may even feel embarrassed. Others wonder what they could’ve done to stop it. However, you must NEVER blame yourself. It didn’t happen because of something you did or didn’t do.